I’m a big proponent of do it yourself financial solutions and when it comes to taxes my feelings are no different. CPA’s and tax professionals are expensive and they probably don’t make sense for about 90% of us. Even though our tax system is pretty insane and convoluted, as long as you understand the basics online tax software can make your life a lot easier and save you some money. If you can answer simple questions about your life and enter a few financial data points, you have the ability to do your taxes yourself. I think half the battle is accumulating all of your documents and recording your expenses anyways and you’ll have to do that whether you use a tax professional or not.
I think it’s important to have a basic understanding of how taxes work before you do your taxes. A lot of people think that if they go to a CPA or tax professional, they’re completely off the hook in the event of an audit but that couldn’t be further from the truth. As long as there was no negligence on the CPA’s part, you are completely responsible for your tax return. If you provide wrong information that leads to an error in your tax return you are the one who will be responsible. I know it’s not fun to figure out your taxes but you should spend some time researching the subject before handing off your tax return or just entering your info online.
TurboTax 2013 Review
Turbo Tax is the number one rated tax software for a reason. They cater their software to every day folk like you and I. I’ve used Turbo Tax for the past 5 years and although my taxes are very complicated, Turbo Tax does make it easy to get my returns done. It seems like every year I struggle between going to a CPA or doing my taxes myself and I always pick the latter.
If you’ve used Turbo Tax in the past, a lot of the features are the same. Here’s a very detailed review of their services that I did last year if you’d like more information. They do have some new features this year though:
- Personalized experience for returning customers: Using data from the prior year’s return, TurboTax 2013 makes tax preparation faster and easier than ever by automatically transferring your personal information and prior year tax return data, including W-2 wage and salary information from your employer, and then adapts itself based on that information to slash screens and questions that are not relevant to their specific tax situation.
- Customized MyTurboTax home base: MyTurboTax offers a simple, unified home base where customers can access important tax tasks and information. You can easily view a summary of last year’s tax return as well as a timeline of your entire TurboTax history.
- Quick, easy access to answers: TurboTax provides direct access to answers and experts from every screen.
- Get More for Your Refund: Exclusively with TurboTax, customers can choose to use part of their federal tax refund to purchase an Amazon.com Gift Card and TurboTax will add an extra 5 to 10 percent to the amount.
Turbo Tax Giveaway
This year I’ll be giving away 5 Premier Turbo Tax codes for my loyal readers. You’ll also be able to file your state taxes for free with them. The Premier version is currently listed at $49.99 on TurboTax’s website so this is a pretty nice deal if you’re in the market for tax software. I’ve also made it very easy to earn multiple entries this year by sharing, following and signing up for our e-mail list. If you’re already subscribed or already following us on social media, then you can use that option to enter. We will be verifying all winning entries so good luck and feel free to let me know if you have any questions at all!
If you’d like to go ahead and buy a version of TurboTax, please use my affiliate link and I will receive a small commission on your sale.
Track All Your Accounts With Personal CapitalPersonal Capital lets you see all of your accounts in one convenient place. Sign up now for free.
Latest posts by Harry Campbell (see all)
- Signs that you’re slipping on your savings - March 30, 2015
- Sarcasm and Verbal Abuse: A Fine Line in the Workplace - March 30, 2015
- 5 Important Accounting Outsourcing Trends Affecting Your Business - March 30, 2015