Turning 30 is a pretty big milestone – by 30, you’ve probably had a job(s), maybe moved once or twice, had a credit card, maybe even bought a house! If you haven’t yet turned 30, there are a lot of things you should try to have figured out before turning 30. Already 30 and up? I’d love your feedback on this list of 30 financial moves to make before 30!
1. Establish an emergency fund
3. Determine your financial priorities – what do you want to do in the future? Save up for a wedding, house, epic travel?
4. Contribute to your retirement account – compounding interest!
5. Pay off your highest interest debt
6. Improve your credit score
7. Try a side hustle
8. Create a financial plan – where do you want to be in 2 years, 5 years, and 10 years? Even if you don’t have it completely decided, it’s a good idea to at least have some idea of where you want to be. A 2 year plan is a good start!
9. Wisely use your credit cards – it is possible!
10. Track your investments and look into diversification
11. Continue improving your skills – just because college is over doesn’t mean learning is. Always keep learning and improving your skills.
12. Don’t be afraid to ask for help with your finances
13. Consider moving for a job – moving while you’re young is easier to do than when you have a family and a house, so consider moving before you hit 30!
14. Stick to your budget! Remember #2, create a budget? Creating a budget is just the start – you have to stick to it!
15. Take care of yourself – taking care of yourself and your health may seem inexpensive and easy to do now, but spending a little bit more time on eating healthy most of the time and exercising regularly will save you so much money in the future.
Track All Your Accounts With Personal CapitalPersonal Capital lets you see all of your accounts in one convenient place. Sign up now for free.
Now that we have 15 things you should do before you’re 30, share what you think people should know before they turn 30!